Pages

Saturday, September 03, 2011

My Fantasy Draft

 Playing fantasy football is a good way to keep track of just about everything involved with the sport. And if the team you cheer for isn't that great on a yearly basis, it helps keep the interest level up.
 Thinking the Redskins might be pretty decent this year (depending on QB play), I decided to just go with one team instead of being involved in three or more leagues.
 I don't know why I bothered prepping for an early round pick; in all the years I've been involved I can't remember selecting in the top five. So, as usual, I picked ninth in a 12-team Yahoo league.
 Thinking I'd alternate WR/RB in the first four rounds, I quickly threw that out and got WRs Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona) and Roddy White (Atlanta) in the first two rounds.
 Needing running backs, I was able to pick up Ryan Grant (Green Bay), who I hope will come back from last year's injury and have the kind of season he was on pace for last year. Next up was San Diego's Ryan Matthews, who was forecast to have a big year last year before his injury. He may have reported to camp overweight, but I have my fingers crossed for this year.
 Looking for a QB I was amazed that Peyton Manning was still available in the fifth round. He and Matt Schaub went right before my selection, however, but I was still able to grab Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh). I snagged Joe Flacco (Baltimore) with the next pick in the sixth round and I feel set there. The Steelers and Ravens face each other twice, and those should be the two toughest games they both have in 2011.
 With that in mind, I grabbed wideout Antonio Brown, who had a great preseason with the Steelers. A great preseason doesn't always translate into the regular season, but Hines Ward is getting up there in years and hopefully Brown can steal some of his touches.
 I also got Baltimore's Lee Evans who should stretch the field while teams decide how to cover both him and Anquan Boldin. Rounding out my receiver corps, I snagged Pierre Garcon (Indianapolis) and Donald Driver (Green Bay).
 I was hoping to get a top tier tight end, but the main studs from last year were gone when I went to get one. I got Rob Gronkowski (New England), who scored 10 TDs last year. He'll split time with Aaron Hernandez, but that's a risk I'll have to take.
 Backups at running back are Knowshown Moreno (Denver) and Ryan Torain (Washington). If the Redskins use both Tim Hightower and Torain or if something happens to Hightower, I could have a starting prospect there.
 I usually wait late to select a defense and kicker and this year was no different. I was hoping to get the Detroit Lions, but they were gone so I got the Arizona Cardinals. They may not get as many turnovers as other teams, but they scored seven times on defense last year so I figured I'd give them a shot. I usually try to pick Sebastian Janikowski as he is annually at the top of the league in 50+ field-goal attempts, but he was taken in the 10th round (out of 15), so I got a reliable Adam Vinatieri.
 I think I drafted a decent team, but if I didn't, I can always hit the waiver wire.

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco
RB: Ryan Grant, Ryan Matthews, Knowshown Moreno, Ryan Torain
WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Antonio Brown, Lee Evans, Pierre Garcon, Donald Driver
TE: Rob Gronkowski
Def: Arizona Cardinals
K: Adam Vinatieri

No comments: