Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

"Rock of Ages"

Music can be a powerful medium, so for me, "Rock of Ages" resonated.
A resounding two devil horns up.
I think you have to be of a certain age to appreciate the movie. It definitely helps if you remember albums, record stores and are a fan of Journey.
While the movie is set in 1987 Los Angeles, it triggered memories of 1983-85 when we moved to Germany for my final two years of high school.
I was introduced to rock n roll there. My buddy Sean turned me on to Van Halen and Phil introduced us all to what a whammy bar on an electric guitar does. Which is mainly force the downstairs neighbors to call the MPs to break up a 3 a.m. party.
But I digress.
Music aside, this movie won't be for everyone. It is cheesey and campy and a bit over the top, which works for me. I judge movies on whether they entertain me or not, and this one was fun almost from start to finish.
Once the movie gets by Katherine Zeta-Jones' overdone Pat Benatar rendition in a church, the movie really picks up steam.
Tom Cruise get the star billing as quintessential 80's rocker Stacee Jaxx and does a fantastic job, but Julianne Hough as Sherrie Christian is the thread that keeps the movie moving forward.
Playing the fresh-faced Oklahoma girl just off the bus, she meets up with Drew (Diego Boneta), also an aspiring rocker, and quickly finds work at the Bourbon Club where much of the movie takes place. We then follow the twists and turns their relationship and aspirations take.
The soundtrack is so richly done, you forgive the obvious on-screen lip-synching. There are a number of mainstream stars in the movie and some have better singing chops than others, but nobody approaches the "Mama Mia" Pierce Brosnan level of putrid.
It's not an action blockbuster, but it fits nicely into the summer movie category.
Even for a musical.

No comments: