Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Aisle learn

My latest foray into Publix this week took a bit longer than usual.
The grocery store was 50 yards away from my former workplace, so after four years I have it pretty mapped out. I know where the deli sandwiches, Peanut M&Ms, stuff for making spaghetti and Diet Cokes are.
With Melanie working and me being at home, I’ve started to see about expanding my culinary horizons. I’ve done a little baking - very little - usually just my mother’s recipe for brown bread and pumpkin pudding. so that’s where I started this week. And instead of the usual meat or chicken, I got a recipe from the aforementioned store and went crazy with some pork chops.
I think I enjoy the sweet process over the savory, mostly because we already have the majority of the ingredients in the house. And having made brown bread and the pudding before I knew the process and it, was, well, a piece of cake. Plus, the chef gets to lick the bowl afterward. To entice our 2-year-old son to eat it we didn’t correct him when he called the bread a cupcake. There’s time to fix that later.
The savory sent me on a hunt for a can of gravy. I’m still looking for it. That and an unfortunate potato mishap and the chops were just topped with a tomato sauce which was pretty good, albeit incomplete. I don’t think I’ll be a contestant on Masterchef anytime soon, I’ll be relegated to my own hell’s kitchen.

No comments: