Pages

Thursday, December 05, 2019

Into the Great Unknown

“What’s next?”
Those were the words uttered by Martin Sheen as President Jed Bartlet in “The West Wing,” signifying he had solved that week’s problem and was ready to take on the next challenge.
For me it’s not so easy.
In the past 17 years, that simple phrase has meant finding a new job and reinventing myself multiple times: as a high school substitute and assistant editor of a garrison newspaper in Germany; freelance writer and personal trainer on Okinawa before moving to Augusta, Georgia, on Jan. 1, 2010.
And after a three-year stint with the Morris company (the first go-round lasted four years), I’m back looking for work. It’ll be interesting to see what happens this time around.
Much has changed, 10 years ago we had a dog; now it's two young children. Fingers crossed it won’t take two years to find a full-time job in my field-which has continued to expand. I kept busy up to 2012 with stints as a census worker, Augusta Greenjackets mascot and working security at the Masters.
If it was just the wife and the dog, moving anywhere for a job would most likely be on the table, but we’ve put down roots in Grovetown and now Evans, and we would like to stay put if possible.
I think the hardest part is knowing which avenue to pursue. I’ve been in PR as sports information director at Bowie State, a sportswriter and photographer and most recently a travel editor/writer. In a previous lifetime I was an extra while living in Maryland, being called fairly regularly to work as background on the aforementioned “West Wing.” Opportunities for background work are plentiful in Atlanta, but the round-trip is close to four hours and not feasible for multiple-day shoots.
So for now, I guess I’ll be throwing resumes to the wind and see what sticks.














No comments: