Pages

Monday, September 14, 2020

Not Wanted Dead or Alive

 

Does having kids make you braver?

I’m not too sure about the answer, but at the very least it might make you act out of character.

When I was growing up I don’t remember being squeamish, but one thing I’ve never had an affinity for is snakes. When we lived on Kadena Air Base on Okinawa, it certainly didn’t help that the running path near our house was nicknamed “Habu Trail.”

Monday night playing catch with Connor, I happened upon a snake in the street just off our driveway. It was small, about five inches long and slender, it could have been a rogue shoelace.

Knowing Connor would love to see it, I nudged it carefully with my shoe to ensure it was dead. Satisfied it was----I totally overlooked it was missing its head---I called Connor and Harper over.

Connor wasn’t sure what kind of snake it was, but announced confidently, “It’s not a black mamba.”


Connor picked it up and showed it to our neighbors who were walking up the street. That’s when we discovered that they had one in their yard over the weekend, meaning there could be more of them slithering around.

Not what I needed to hear.



No comments: