Pages

Friday, February 05, 2021

Who Ya Got?

 Another Super Bowl, another no show by the team from Washington. That means I don’t have to be emotionally invested, much like every year since the early ‘90s, although occasionally would be nice.

Whichever team wins is fine. It’s not like I have to pull for whoever is playing the Cowboys (goes without saying) or the Broncos (the whole Elway snubbing the Baltimore Colts thing) among others.

Not so for Connor. He’s been a Tom Brady fan the past few years and thus rooting for the Patriots. This year he switched allegiances and has been all in on the Buccaneers from the onset. The burning question is will he remain a Bucs fan when the ageless wonder finally hangs up his cleats?

This brings to mind my nephew who has brought shame upon the family for decades now (just kidding Dwight). Living in Georgia early on, he became a Deion Sanders fan when Prime Time played for the Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Falcons. Sanders would go on to play for the Cowboys and Washington, but somehow Dwight got stuck in Texas.

Even though it’s a school night, I plan to let Connor stay up and watch the big game. Will he make it to the end? Two potential roadblocks stand in the way. There’s a good chance he won’t be able to keep his eyes open even until the third quarter, but I could be wrong. The more likely scenario is that he loses interest---stay with me here. He’ll be into the game, but in this era of fast forwarding through commercial breaks, the stoppages in play may tax his enthusiasm. My guess is that he’ll want to just watch something else or call it night and watch the recording the next day.

The last scenario is probably partly my fault. Instead of putting on the Falcons game each Sunday during the season---because I see how that rips up Falcons fans on Twitter---we usually watch the Red Zone Channel and bounce from game to game. If we lived in the viewing area, I would torture him with WFT games each week, however.

Harper has said on numerous occasions, “I don’t like football,” (dagger), so while that stings a little, at least I won’t have to potentially deal with another team’s support in the house.

No comments: