Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Homeownership

 I've known from a fairly young age that I'm not mechanically inclined, and not much has changed throughout the years.
 In junior high I managed to eke out a C in shop class and then the same in high school for auto shop. Following the trend, I was an "operator" in the Navy. We were the guys that broke things and kept the technical guys busy with repairs.
 After years of renting, it finally became time to buy a house and deal with everything it entails.
 I wasn't worried about outside maintenance, I've been mowing/edging for years. It was the inevitable repairs that would occur that had me a little concerned.
 Buying a new house, however, insured that we wouldn't have to worry about much since we had a year warranty on most everything that could come up.
 The year ended in February.
 I've reset circuit breakers and the lawn-watering system, but was confounded by our garage a few days ago which had lost power overnight and resetting the circuit breaker didn't work.
 It was time to bring out the bring guns. The first call went to my Dad, a former engineer with a penchant for fixing things. I was just a bit worried because I've seen him fix electrical problems in his house. I figured his advice might be to take the cover off the circuit breaker and mass with the wires leading to the garage circuit.
 Luckily he had some other suggestions before we got to that discussion, and I think we both realized that with my skills, or lack thereof, that it wouldn't be the best idea to mess with it.
 I was able to find an electrician through our builder, and he had a simple question first, asking if I had reset the fuse on the electrical outlet. I had actually, or thought I had, pushing the button in and out, but with the electrician on the phone, I pushed it one more time, making it go all the way in this time, and on came the power. Oy!
 The electrician had the best line of the day saying, "Give me a call when something is really broke."
 Hopefully that won't be for a while.

No comments: