Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Food Me Once...

After being laid off in November, I cooked some meals along the way to the pandemic, mostly consisting of variations of meat and red sauce, filled in of course with takeout pizza.

Toward the end of March, I tried to step up my culinary game with varying degrees of success. Meatloaf turned into a big lump of what was more of a breakfast bake, and while it looked gross, tasted OK to me. Which was good, since I was the only one about to eat it. After some other disappointments, which were met with “yucky” from Connor and happily parroted by Harper, I reached out to Simon Majumdar on Twitter for advice.

He was gracious enough to suggest homemade chicken nuggets, which have turned out decent twice and met with the kids’ lukewarm stamp of approval.

Wednesday night brought an unexpected reaction, however. I received the standard comment from Connor, but Harper started crying when she saw my nacho chicken. Again, it didn’t look as good as it could, and I drizzled too much butter on it so it wasn’t as crunchy as it should have been, but did that warrant crying? After Harper settled down, she said she was upset because she thought the Doritos were going to be on the plate next to the chicken.

Eventually Connor even ate everything on his plate. With a certain amount of deserved (I think) smugness, I asked Connor what he thought about the chicken. 

“You’re weird,” he replied.

 Smart kid.

2 comments:

jdodd said...

I ❤️ this so much and so excited to read your next post 😆

ScottyR said...

Thanks!