Pages

Friday, January 22, 2021

Get Off My Lawn

 As my children get older, more and more I find myself saying, “When I was growing up…”

As Connor turns 7---can he really be 7 already---the diatribe I’ve aimed at Melanie for years comes to mind once again. When did the tradition of the birthday boy or girl giving gift bags to party attendees begin and why?

My memory may be flagging some, but growing up I don’t remember leaving a birthday party with anything other than a stomach ache from too much cake and ice cream. Or the time I accidentally ate shaving cream at Brian Stone’s party. Years later, the gastric issues arose from excesses indulged in at “The Hut.”

I see the point in the gift bags a little more since the pandemic’s onset. Harper’s birthday was a family-only affair, but we were able to send cupcakes to her daycare class so they could help her celebrate. This week we sent gift bags to Connor’s first grade class. It seemed appropriate as he’s been coming home with other kids’ birthday gift bags all year.

For the first time in a long while, this will be Connor’s first family-only party. We probably could have done something outdoors with friends, and a year earlier we would have, but Harper is much more aware of things these days and she would notice the discrepancy.

Melanie’s birthday is right around the corner. I wonder what she’s going to get me.

 

No comments: