Pages

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Haircut

 I've never been one much for small talk, so the barber chair is one place I've never really been comfortable.
 The previous eight years weren't bad as my haircutters were either native Germans or Japanese and the language barrier allowed me to relax and take a good 15-20 minute nap. Of course I would come out of the comatose state for the final neck massage part of the Japanese haircut.
  So as I sat in the chair at Sport Clips a few things happened.  In Sport Clips they have individual TVs in front of each chair. And since isn't a race weekend, the channels were set to ESPN and not on a NASCAR race (I live in the South after all). Even though I was trying to listen to the show that was on, I didn't mind when the girl wanted to chat. What did get me though was when I mentioned something about being from DC and the Redskins, the girl had trouble figuring what sport I meant.
 OK, if you're going to work in a place that has TVs tuned to sports channels 24/7, I'm hoping you accidentally pick up sports knowledge or know some basics. So now I've embarked on a conversation in which she's clueless and I can't hear ESPN and a nap would just be rude at this point.
 She did steer the conversation to something innocuous like the weather and did do a good job on my hair, however, which is the reason I went in there.
 Maybe next time I'll be prepared and come in with a list of non-sports topics at the ready.

No comments: