Pages

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

O's vs Braves (At Turner Field)

 It's been a few years since I've been to a major league baseball game, so when I saw the Orioles were going to be in Atlanta in July, I knew it was time to go back.
 So of course I had to break out the original Orioles gear-orange Orioles jersey and orange floppy hat-and hope I didn't take too much abuse. Two things going in my favor was that it was the July 4th weekend and the natural hospitality of the South.
  We had great seats in home run territory in left field and there were only 23,000 people there so it wasn't extremely crowded, which was perfect. I took some good natured ribbing, but nothing hostile. It helped that the Orioles are in the lower echelon of the league and not a natural rival of the Braves.
 Spoiled by Camden Yards in Baltimore, I had no expectation of what Turner Field would bring. It was a pleasant surprise. It had a spacious plaza outside the entrance gates and once inside still more wide open spaces awaited. The park itself was beautiful as expected and the electronic screens throughout made for a modern touch.
 It was nice to see the Orioles playing well and they pulled one out as we sat through extreme heat, rainstorms and more heat.
 Working for the Augusta Greenjackets, I have more than enough opportunity to watch baseball, but there is something about being at a major league park that is a unique experience.
 Being over two hours away, I doubt we'll make that a frequent trip, but it will worth it when we do it again.

No comments: