Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fall Season Begins-NBC shows off ones they'll drop

 Besides the beginning of the NFL, September brings about the beginning of the new television fall season. For a couch potato like me, this is the best time of the year. And it means my DVR will be working overtime.
 Before I move on, TNT and USA must be given their due for helping those of us who like watching other than reality shows get through the summer with shows like "The Closer," "Burn Notice," etc.
 Last week, NBC ran the pilots (twice) of "Up All Night" and "Free Agents." I guess they're giving them some extra play before they take them off the air at midseason or sooner-depending on what they have in reserve.
 To be fair, "Free Agents" has a shot at making it, mainly on the back of Hank Azaria. Azaria plays Alex, a recently divorced guy who is hooking up with co-worker Kathryn Hahn (Helen), who still hasn't recovered from the sudden death of her fiancee'. They have hooked up in the opening scene, so there is no sexual tension that will have to be resolved. Azaria's weepy, akward persona has a lot of humorous potential, as does Hahn's Helen.
 Now, I don't children, but I like to think I know what is funny, and "Up All Night" seems to be missing what has put them in the sitcom category. Maybe the next episodes will be better, but there will be enough new shows on so I won't have to find out.
 Will Arnett and Christina Applegate are the Brinkleys, Chris and Reagan, respectively. I'm in the tank for Applegate who has a strong comedy resume dating back to "Married With Children," but I've never found Arnett to be particularly funny. They begin the series by trying to read an early pregnancy test and it just goes downhill from there.
 Applegate plays a TV producer for Maya Rudolph, who is a television talk show host. Ugh. Once again her character is not particularly amusing.
 Emily Spivey, the writer of this mess has to take some if not most of the blame.

No comments: